4: T&E For Materials
Jacobs/Uberuaga House Yard Excavation Collection
Food Processing T&E
Boyd, Lewis R. Jacobs Uberuaga
Found in Collection
607 Grove Street front and side yards
Canning and preserving Cookery Food - Preservation Glass
This type of glass liner for zinc caps was patented March 30, 1869 by Lewis R. Boyd of New York City. This liner was found in the yard at 607 Grove Street during excavation. The glass is "milk glass," meaning that it's a cloudy white. In raised letters on one side, "Boyd's Genuine Porcelain Lined Cap." The word "porcelain" is a misnomer and not originally used by Boyd. This liner was inserted into the bottom of solid zinc caps used on fruit jars in canning. It provided an all-glass contact for the food in the jar and prevented the cap from imparting a metallic taste to the preserved food.